I also noticed an incredible amount of generosity among the group. For instance, I learned one friend made pesto at 11:30 PM the night before because she wanted to keep her commitment to creating something for the evening. We found out that her pesto recipe involves crushing pine nuts with a rock from South America given to her by her mother. Another friend had to cancel because of a stomach virus but still managed to drop off the dessert for the group. She wanted so much to share this favorite dessert of hers with us. The pizza ingredients were diced perfectly, the mozzarella was soft and tasty, and the salad came in large quantity. And the guests even stayed to help clean up!
Lastly, through last nights’ conversations, I noticed that even though women’s opportunities have advanced significantly over the past fifty plus years, at the end of the day, we are still women at the core. We may be successful, smart, and confident, but deep down inside, there are innate differences between men and women. Yes, it is important to be part of groups with men and women, but sometimes, we women just need to be together to talk about things only we experience and therefore understand.
Today, I noticed more sharing. Girls were being invited to new book clubs and other networking opportunities. Others offered their assistance in making Second Tuesday grow. In the end, we all came together in such a way that we are inspired to help each other do and be even better than we are.
What’s next for Second Tuesday? The idea is still new so the next few months will be a test. However, after last night, I did come up with a few conclusions that I would like to share.
- Intimate Group Size: The monthly Second Tuesday gatherings will need to be intimate, where the number to create an intimate setting is still being worked on. I assume 12 will be the limit. Should there be other meetings or activities during the month, they can be a larger size.
- Monthly Topic: Each month should consist of a topic. The person who is hosting the Second Tuesday would decide on and send the topic to the group before the meeting. I will post my groups’ topic if you would like to use it.
- Two-Way Street: Yes, I can write the blog and meet with women every month. However, I created this because it is about us, not me. Therefore, I would appreciate hearing from you. Comment on the blog. Send me messages on topics that interest you. Share success stories of your own Second Tuesday. Forward the blog to your friends. Have them do the same.
- Flexible Meeting Day: Just because this is called Second Tuesday, it does not mean that the meeting must occur on a Tuesday. If another day works better, than book it! Of course, I would rather it be on the Second Tuesday so that we can be in sync, but it is not a must.
- More than Once Per Month: Meetings don’t have to occur once per month. For example, one could hold an intimate dinner with the group of 12 or less and later book some sort of outing with a larger group on the weekend.
- Create Your Own: Your help is needed to scale up Second Tuesday. Given the small group size recommended for Second Tuesday’s monthly gathering, the way to involve more women is to create a larger quantity of intimate groups rather than increase the group size. I recommend and hope that each of you will be inspired to create your own Second Tuesday group, and I am happy to guide you through my blog.
- Give It Up: If you do create your own group and do decide to commit to Second Tuesdays of the month but you can’t make one, give it up. Let one of your friends be in charge for that month!
For those of you just getting into the Second Tuesday concept, I started this “project” because I have not been able to find a women’s networking group that creates a level of intimacy and sharing that we so desperately need. Nowadays, we lead busier lives than ever because we are accessible 24/7 given the advances in technology and balance trying to “be” and “do” everything! Yes, we have friends, family, and co-workers that we can lean on, but at the end of the day, it is tough to find quality time even with them. By dedicating the Second Tuesday of every month to gathering with like-minded women and writing a blog, I hope to create an extension of of our current network.
Thank you to the amazing group who attended last night’s gathering and to those of you who have been following Second Tuesday to date.